Angouleme: April 16, 2019
Nool BD and its subsidiaries are part of Nool., based in France, (hereafter, “Nool”, “we” “our” and/or “us”). More information is available at Nool Books.
We operate websites, mobile applications, a digital reading platform that enables customers to acquire and read or listen to written works (through ebooks or podcasts) using a variety of electronic devices, software applications , and other services (collectively, the “Nool Services”) and the account you use in association with the Nool Services (the “Nool Account”).
Collection of personal information
“Personal Information” is any information or a combination of pieces of information that can reasonably permit you to be identified, or that can reasonably be linked to you. Information that is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer reasonably associated with an identified or identifiable natural person is not Personal Information and may be used for any business purpose.
We collect Personal Information about you from a variety of sources. We collect information from you directly (e.g., when you contact us or create an account with us), automatically, (e.g., data collected via cookies and similar technologies when you use the Nool Services), and from other sources, including commercially available sources, such as public databases (where permitted by law).
For example, we collect, process and use your Personal Information when you:
- register for a Nool Account or log into an existing account;
- interact with the Nool Services;
- order products or content from us;
- use the Nool Services to access electronic content; or
- contact us for customer care.
Registration and account information
When you create an account, you voluntarily provide us with certain Personal Information, such as your email address, and password.
You may also complete an optional registration profile, which may include your name, gender, birth date, contact phone number and any additional optional information you choose to provide.
We collect your payment information when you purchase e-content or sign up for subscription-based services.
We may also collect information you provide in your communications to us, such as when you respond to polls or surveys, write a review, or contact us with a question, comment, or request. You may choose to provide us with certain information when you upload e-content to the Services as a member of Nool self-publishing service, fill out a form, submit a request to our customer care team, respond to a survey, submit ratings and reviews or participate in promotions or contests.
Information we collect from your use of the Nool Services.
We collect Personal Information when you use or otherwise interact with the Nool Services. For example, we collect information about how you use the Nool Services, such as pages you view, the rate at which you consume e-content (how often and for how long), genres, authors or subject matter you prefer and searches you make or share, the ebooks or audiobooks you have liked, comments you have left and also websites you have viewed through links in the comments. We collect this information across the various devices, applications, and other tools via which you access and interact with the Nool Services.
We collect certain technical information about your device – such as your IP address, device type, device model and manufacturer, device identifier and your device operating system type and version.
We automatically collect certain information about your transactions on the Services such as amount charged, date and time, and use of promotions.
Information we collect from other sources.
We may receive additional information about you from third party service providers and/or retail partners, such as demographic data, your activities on and off the NoolServices through partnerships and our third-party advertisers. .
Registration through third parties
We provide you with the option to sign in to the Nool Services using an account you already have with another provider (such as: Facebook, Google).
Categories of information we collect.
The information we collect via the methods described above includes:
- Identifiers: For example, your name, email address, postal address, username, IP address, and online identifiers.
- Demographics: Such as your age and gender.
- Transactional information: Such as the products you purchase, access, or review; subscriptions; payment methods; and discount programs.
- Online activities: For example, browsing and search history; interactions with web or other digital content; whether you open, interact with, or forward our electronic communications; and how you interact with advertisements offered by us or third parties.
- Billing location information: Based on the information you provide or inferred from your IP address, to ensure we have the right to sell you the books you wish to purchase .
- Inferences: As noted above, we may use the information we collect to identify your potential preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behaviours, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Children under 16 years of age.
Users must be at least 16 years old or older to register for a Nool Account to use the Nool Services. Nool does not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under the age of 16. If a parent or guardian believes that Nool has in its database the Personal Information of a child under the age of 16, please contact us at email@example.com and we will use our best efforts to remove the information from our records.
How and why we use the information we collect.
We may use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Identification and authentication: We use your identifiers to verify your identity when you access your account and to ensure the security of your Personal Information;
- Operating the Nool Services: We process your Personal Information to provide you with access to the NoolServices and to process your transactions, as you have requested. We use Personal Information, such as your location to identify whether content is available in your region. And we use information to provide and improve the NoolServices, identify and troubleshoot errors, and analyze the NoolServices;
- Managing your account: We use Personal Information to create, maintain, and monitor your account.
- Improving the NoolServices: We analyze information about how you use the NoolServices to provide an improved experience for all users;
- Communicating with you: We may use your Personal Information to communicate with you, for example if we are providing information about changes to the terms and conditions, to issue security alerts or reminders, or if you contact us with questions;
- Exercising our rights: We may use your Personal Information to exercise or protect our legal rights where it is necessary to do so, for example to detect, prevent and respond to fraud claims, intellectual property infringement claims or violations of law or our terms and conditions, to respond to requests from law enforcement or other third parties, and to secure the Nool Services;
- Complying with our obligations: We may process your Personal Information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements, where this is required by law, such as in response to court orders or to comply with privacy or financial regulations;
- Protecting against harm: We may use Personal Information as necessary to protect the rights and safety of us, you, or others.
In addition, we may link together your activity across the Nool Services and the devices you use to access them along with the accounts you may use across Nool services. We may associate your activities and accounts under a single Nool ID. And we combine information we have about you with information we obtain from business or retail partners or other companies, such as your activities on other sites and apps.
How we may share the information we collect with others.
We may disclose certain Personal Information with service providers, business partners or affiliates, or by selling it to third parties where such sales are compliant with applicable law. As used in this Policy, the “sale” of Personal Information refers to sharing your Personal Information with a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration, subject to any exceptions under applicable law.
In association with our personalized advertising and re-marketing activities, we may share Personal Information with advertisers, digital advertising companies, and other entities that support digital advertising activities. These third parties may have rights to use the information noted below for their own purposes, which is why we treat such a disclosure as a sale, even though no money changes hands.
- Identifiers: For example, your name, email address, postal address, username, IP address, and online identifiers.
- Demographics: Such as your age and gender.
- Online activities: For example, interactions with web or other digital content; whether you open, interact with, or forward our electronic communications; and how you interact with advertisements offered by us or third parties.
Law enforcement agencies, courts, regulators and government authorities
We may share the information we collect, including Personal Information, with law enforcement or to otherwise comply with any statutory or regulatory requirement or the order of a court or other public authority agency, regulator, government authority or other third party where we believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party.
In the context of a transaction
Legal basis for processing your Personal Information if you are in the EEA
If you use the Nool Services while in the EEA, we must have a legal basis to process your Personal Information for the purposes above, including data received from social media platforms, data received from other sources used for statistics or data shared with third party advertisers. There are different legal bases that we rely on to use your Personal Information, namely:
- Performance of a contract – The use of your Personal Information may be necessary to send you Emails and messages concerning the administration and operation of your Noo lAccount and/or the Nool Services.
- Consent – We will rely on your consent to use (i) technical information; and (ii) your Personal Information for marketing and advertising purposes. You may withdraw your consent at any time by following an unsubscribe link in any marketing communication you receive from us.
- Legitimate interests – We may use your Personal Information for our legitimate interests to improve our products and services and the content available on the Nool Platform. These improvements are dependent on analyzing (for example) how you use the Services, such as pages you view, the rate at which you consume e-content (how often, and for how long), genres, authors or subject matter you prefer and searches you make or share, the ebooks or audiobooks you have liked, comments you have left, websites you have viewed through links, the success rate(s) of any promotion or event, certain technical information about your device, or when you access our application through a certain device, purchase path or transactional data and customer care interactions. We will also use your Personal Information for security purposes, and to share information with our affiliates for internal administration based on legitimate interest.
- Legal obligation and public interest – Where compelled by applicable law, we may also have a legal obligation to collect your Personal Information, or may otherwise need your Personal Information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we need to further process your Personal Information, we will let you know if there is a different legal basis for that further processing that is not compatible with the notices and consents that we have already from you, and we will provide you with any relevant further information and consent options.
Your choices and your rights over your Personal Information.
If you are visiting a Nool website from the EEA or any other jurisdiction with laws similar to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you may have certain rights, in accordance with applicable domestic law and limitations, including:
- Right to restrict our use of your Personal Information;
- Right to rectify the Personal Information we hold about you;
- Right to access Personal Information: Users exercising this right may request access to the categories and specific pieces of their Personal Information we hold;
- Right to data portability: Users exercising this right may receive their Personal Information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party;
- Right to object to our use of your Personal Information;
- Right to disclosure: Users exercising this right can receive additional information regarding the sources from which we collect information, the purposes for which we collect and share Personal Information, the information of theirs we hold, and the categories of parties with whom we share their information;
Additional Rights of California, USA residents
- Right to opt-out of sales: You may register your opt-out (Do Not Sell My Personal Information) by using the opt-out function at the bottom of our website pages.
- Right to know about processing of Personal Information: If you reside in California, USA, you may request that we inform you of the categories of Personal Information we have collected about you; the categories of sources from which we collected the information; our purpose for collecting or selling the information; and the categories of third parties with which we share personal information.
- Right to learn about certain disclosures: If you reside in California, USA and have provided your personally-identifiable information to us, you may request information once per calendar year about our disclosures of certain categories of your personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us in writing at the following email address: admin@,nool.app and
- Right to be free from discrimination: California residents may freely exercise these rights without fear of being denied goods or services. We may, however, provide a different level of service or charge a different rate reasonably relating to the value of your data.
If contacting us does not resolve your complaint, you may have the right to make a complaint to your data protection authority (if one exists in your country).
You can unsubscribe or opt-out of receiving marketing communications from Us in your settings by clicking “Account Settings” under “My Account” once logged into your Nool account. Or you can click the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of an automatic email. Please note that even if you opt-out of receiving marketing communication, we may continue to send you non-marketing emails and other types of communications, as permitted by law, such as response to your support requests, or service email relating to your account.
You can change information about your account by connecting to your Nool Account and modifying the information listed in the “Account Settings” function at www.noolbooks.com. Some of this information is optional and you are not required to provide it to us, however other information such as payment information is required for Nool to be able to provide you with our services. You are not required to provide any information to us that is unnecessary to provide the Nool Services.
Do Not Track Signals.
Security and Data Retention.
We care about the security of your Personal Information. We deploy administrative, technical, and physical measures designed to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk to the Personal Information we collect. We evaluate these safeguards on an ongoing basis to help minimize risks from new security threats as they become known. However, no information system can be 100% secure. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to us over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks. We need your help too: it is your responsibility to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate and we encourage you to ensure that your password is unique, secure and not shared with third parties.
We retain the information collected via the NoolServices for as long as we have a relationship with you, and until such time as you choose to close your Nool Account. After that time, we will only retain your Personal Information if we are required to do so to comply with local law, or if there are outstanding claims or complaints that will reasonably require your Personal Information to be retained. We may also anonymize and aggregate the data and retain the data in that form for analytical purposes.
For any queries in relation to this Cookies and Tracking Technologies Policy please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org